Modern Scrappy Bits Swap

IMG_6570

After checking out the favorite photos from my partner in the Modern Scrappy Bits Swap, I thought she had more traditional tastes rather than liking super-modern, funkier things.  So, I decided to make my pouch for her a little more shabby chic, and I really like what I ended up with!  I bought the flower print from the scrap bin at my LQS a few months ago and never really found anything to do with it since, while I like it (or I wouldn’t have bought it), I don’t have much to go with it.  I do love the way it looks with linen, though, and it just happened to match the green stripe from Bonnie & Camille’s new line.

IMG_6566

After that, I added some crocheted details and an embroidered monogram to the top.  I free-handed the letters instead of tracing something from the computer, and I’m happy with how they turned out.  I wouldn’t mind having something like this for myself, actually, but these days the last thing I need is another pouch!  I might make a bag sometime, though.  I do love how the crochet and embroidery look with this linen.

IMG_6569

I lined the pouch with the green stripe, but there’s nothing really fancy on the inside—just a plain lining.  I didn’t think a pocket inside would be easily accessible since it poufs out at the bottom.  I made up this pattern, and the size is completely based on what I happened to have in my scraps—every part of this pouch was made from scraps, so I thought it fit the swap well.

IMG_6574IMG_6575

For good measure, though, I’m also throwing in this little pouch.  I made this using Oh Fransson’s QAYG method, but followed the tutorial for the flower design found here.  Honestly, I’m not too happy with how mine turned out.  the quality is fine, but I’m just not a fan of how my colors turned out.  I think it would look better using colors right next to each other in the rainbow so the fading looks a little more natural as it goes from one color to another.

In the tutorial, she uses canvas duck and puts batting all the way out to the edge.  This makes for a VERY stiff panel.  If I were to do it again, I would only put batting inside the seam allowances to make the seams less bulky, and unless I wanted it to be super-structured, I would just use quilting cotton on the back instead of the canvas.  For a little pouch like this, it doesn’t need that much structure, and all that quilting makes for a pretty stiff piece anyway.  I made this as a practice piece for a pillow, and that turned out better, but I’m still not sold on the look.  It also eats up a lot of fabric because the pieces overlap multiple times, so there is lots more fabric here than you see in the finished project.  Still, it was a good learning experience, and I may do something like this again, but it’s most likely not going to be one of my go-to items in the future.

Comments

  1. This is beautiful.. do you have a tutorial or any steps on how to make this.. I would love to try it as this is my style.

    • No tutorial yet– I kind of just made it up as I went along, but that’s not a bad idea, so I might whip one up in the near future. I think my mom wants one anyway.

Speak Your Mind

*