My big work in progress this week is a custom quilt for the little girl I babysit. Her mom asked me to make it for her birthday. The colors are a bit off—they’re orange and teal. So far, it’s going well. I have it all basted, and it’s ready to be quilted as soon as I can find the time.
The quilt also has her name on the back. I’m not sure I’m thrilled with the look yet, but I’m hoping it looks better once the whole thing is quilted. She wants stippling, so It should help hold the letters in place as well, provided the thickness of the adhesive underneath doesn’t cause me tension issues.
Normally I like to spray baste quilts. I seem to have quite a bit less trouble with pleats. However, I ran out of spray, and I didn’t want to run out to Joann’s, so I decided to give pinning a try. It seems to have worked decently well. The real test will be when I do the quilting. I’m sure dodging the pins in stippling will be pretty annoying. It also wasn’t much fun to baste on my hands and knees. Usually I make my dining room table work, which is much easier on the knees and back. Even if it does work well, I don’t think this will become my go-to method. I might use it for baby quilts since they’re so small, and pinning is cheaper. However, for a large quilt, I think I’m willing to spring for the spray to make my life easier.
My other work in progress is a feather pillow for the Pillow Talk Swap. I need to make eight of these little guys. I haven’t started yet since my partner hasn’t given me any feedback, but since the mailing date (June 3rd) is coming up fast, I’m going to have to move forward either way. The first step is piecing all the little strings together for the feathers, so I’ll start with that this week and hope for some feedback by next week.