My latest project is actually a remake of a very old one. This was a quilt I made just under ten years ago, way before I knew anything about machine quilting or the online quilting world (did it even exist back then?). Anyhow, it has been looking a little sad because I never quite finished the quilting like I had hoped.
I purchased these bright bandanas from Walmart for $1 each, and I thought they’d make a great beach blanket. I was heading to Florida for college spring break with some friends, so I sewed the top and basted it and then hand quilted it in the car on the way down. However, I only quilted along the seams. These bandanas are about 20” square, so that leaves a lot of open unquilted area. I had always intended to go back and do more quilting, but it just never happened.
It’s just a little too floppy for my tastes. I also didn’t really know how to bind back then, so I did a flange type binding with mitered corners (don’t ask me how I came up with that method—I was self-taught), and they just weren’t holding up all that well.
I purchased a 31 outdoor blanket that folds up with a handle, and we tried it the other night when we went to the park—it’s TINY!! Basically, it would only seat me and the baby. My husband and 3 year old were kind of out of luck. So, since this was our outdoor blanket before, I’ve decided to make a few modifications to make it just as handy with a handle/strap as the 31 blanket, but big enough to fit our whole family. It’s a full size, about 80” square, so it’s great for a park/picnic blanket.
I’ve ripped out all the hand quilting, so I have all the pieces. It only took me a couple of hours—much easier than ripping out machine stitches. Now I just have to press everything and requilt it (on the machine this time!). I’ll keep you posted so you can see how it turns out.